Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Slownik Geograficzny Translations

Czerniów (with Wandolina) [now Cherniv, Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine]

Village in Rohatyn powiat, on the banks of the Swierz stream, on the Lwow-Czerniowce [Chernivtsi] train line, about 4 km. northwest of the station at Bukaczowce, about 19 km. from Rohatyn. The major estate has 403 [mórgs] of farmland, 293 of meadows and gardens, 322 of pastures, 546 of forest; the minor estate has: 967 [mórgs] of farmland, 302 of meadows and gardens, 250 of pastures. There are 26 Roman Catholics, 1,029 Greek Catholics, 17 Jews, for a total population of 1,072. The village belongs to the Roman Catholic parish of Bukaczowce; there is a Greek Catholic parish in the village, to which the branch church in Poswierz belongs; the parish belongs to Zurawno deanery. There is a branch school with 1 teacher and a loan society with capital of 2,613 zlotys.

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1880, vol. 1, p.831]

Wandolina

a group of houses and a folwark in Czerniów, Rohatyn powiat.

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1892, vol. 12, p.935]

 

Note: According to the 1848 and 1874 book of landowners held at the Lviv Archives (F.186, op. 2, spr. 836), Hnat Kolesnik, living in Czerniów, is listed as the Landowner.

 

  
Copyright 2008-2017 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use