Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Słownik Geograficzny Translations

Dudy

1) a small town in the 3rd police district of Oszmiana province within the Logumowicze gmina. It lies 4.6 mi. northwest from Ivie, 5.3 mi. to Nikolaev, 68 mi. to Wilno, and 42 mi. to Oszmiana. This town of 210 inhabitants is situated at the junction of the Nieman and Dudzianka rivers, and possesses a wooden Catholic church founded in 1772 by the landowner Zienko. Affiliated with Iwje parish, it numbers 2,784 parishioners. Unhappy ancient Dudites petitioned the Voivod of Wilno for a new location near the Dudy estate (Maly Dudy). Up to 1760, Dudy was owned by Zienkowicz, then sold off as as an unprofitable term. In 1866 the town had 12 homes, 68 Catholic inhabitants and 12 Jews. Today the town and estate is partly owned by the Treasury, partly by Weronik Korwin-Milewski.

 

Additional Słownik information on Dudy from Volume XV: 

 

Dudy- 5) a small town on the Dudzianka River flowing directly into the Nieman, lying in Oszmiana province. The sheriff's domain in 1608 was in the possession of Karol Chodkiewicz, Voivod of Wilno, who in the same year left a significant legacy to the existing Catholic church in Dudy. Zienkowicz erected the present church in 1772. The Sheriff of Dudy in 1653 was Theodore Doenhoff. To the sheriff s domain at the time belonged: the mansion and hamlet of Logumowicze (possibly at times a separate sheriff's domain; it is uncertain why it was called "Totewski's Domain") [ed-- note difference in spelling from a related Logomowicze entry], Bojarosze, Czerniewicze, Czatunowicze, Osoczniki, Pieniewicze [ed-- also looks like a misspelling of Piesiewicze], Lezniewicze, Moncewicze, Cieczerniki, Boczeczniki, Winkszniahy, Inkielewicze and Jurkiewicze. Upon the death of Doenhoff in 1665, the Dudy sheriff's domain fell into the possession of Jan Casimir Horbaczewski, Master of the Pantry of the Polish-Lithuanian Republic. In 1720, Marian Wollowicz was Sheriff, as well as Marshal of the Lithuanian army; he transferred ownership to his wife Antonina (nee Zahorowski). It was once again abandoned to the holder of entail (as a debt?) Tomas Zamojski. Zamojski transferred the sheriff's domain to Christof Pac, Castellan of Polotsk. On the death of Pac in 1725, Antoni Bojnicki, Cup-Bearer of Polotsk acquired the domain, and his wife Teofila (nee Zeronski) governed it there as if a life-time property from 1736 until 1749. At that time, the sheriff's domain comprised 4,350 acres and counted 187 families. In 1789, Jerome and Barbara (nee Sulistrowski) Zienkowicz acquired it. Belonging at that time to the domain were: the town of Dudy, the Logomowicze estate, while belonging to the sheriff's mansion were: Macewicze farmstead (today Moncewicze) and the following villages: Logomowicze, Lezniewicze, Ciecierniki (today a farm), Piesniewicze, Koziewicze, Czierniewicze, Galonowicze (today Galunowicze), Bajrasze, Lebuki (no longer extant), and Jurkowicze (today a farm). The Dudy sheriff's domain contributed revenues of 13,567 Polish zlotys, of which half went to the Commonwealth treasury. Dudy's Catholic church is a parish affiliate of Ivie, called the "Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary", constructed of wood. The affiliate church has 3,006 parishioners.

 

Editor's Note: All Słownik longitudes in this article have been converted to modern coordinates which is based on the Greenwich zero meridian. All Polish measurement units (land areas, distances, height above sea level, etc.) were converted to American-English equivalents.  Monetary units, where identified, were left in zlotys/zl. or rubles/rs.

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1881, vol. 2, p.208; 1902, vol. 15, p.450]

 

This translation, by Mike Gansecki, is used by permission.

  
Copyright 2008-2017 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use