Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Słownik Geograficzny Translations

Góra

Góra, in German Guhrau 1.), a village and estate in Pszczyna county, Miedzna parish, on the river Vistula, about 10 km. east of Pszczyna. The estate Góra, owned by prince Pszczyna, has 3 manorial farmsteads (Góra, Dabrowa and Grosshof), 2 sheepfolds (Sandschaeferei, Feldschaeferei), and with the adjoining manorial farmstead Zawadka covers 2,684 mórgs [about 1694 acres] of sandy soil. The village of Góra has a branch church, Saint Barbara’s, and a Catholic school.

2) Góra, in German Guhrau, a county seat in Silesia, within the Wroclaw regency. It has 4,100 inhabitants, a secondary school with a practical curriculum rather than classical, 83 windmills, and an organ factory; it is known for its asparagus farming, and has 10 fairs. After the Thirty Years War, 600 houses stood empty there. The Catholic parish church was founded in the period 1032-1037; outside the city is the cemetery church of Body of God and a Calvary [a site devoted to commemorating the Way of the Cross and Christ’s passion]. Since 1714 there has been an evangelical church and a chapel on the site of a former bleachery. Góra county covers12 square milas [1 mila = about 7.5 km.], with 37,000 inhabitants, mostly Evangelical and almost exclusively Germans. The cultivated land is for the most part sandy, with many meadows and forests, a great many mills, and with flourishing sheep farming. Towns in the county are Wasosz and Czernina, along with the village of Ryczyn.

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1881, vol. 2, p.689]

 

This translation, by Mark Kaszniak, Edited by William F. Hoffman, is used by permission.


 Góra, Inowrocław powiat

 

 

  
Copyright 2008-2017 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use