Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Słownik Geograficzny Translations

Grodzisko

Grodzisko: Galicia

 

1. A village on the right bank of the Skawa river; in the Wadowice district; the residents belong to the Roman Catholic parish in Pakrowice; the village is attached to the post office in Zator; the distance from the village to Zator is 4.5 km; there are 246 inhabitants, all of Roman Catholic religion. The minor estate has 177 morgs of farmland, 50 of pastureland and 56 of forest. The village used to be the possession of the monastery in Zwierzyniec.

 

2. G.; a village on the Grodzisko stream which flows into the Wisłok river; in the Rzeszów district; it is attached to the Roman Catholic parish in Dobrzechów and to the post office in Strzyżów. The distance from the village to Strzyżów is 8 km. There are 860 residents, all Roman Catholics. There is a two-grade school building loco. The major estate has 181 morgs of farmland, 12 of meadows and gardens, 8 of pastureland and 67 of forest. The minor estate has 1019 morgs of farmland, 98 of meadows and gardens, 88 of pastureland and 157 of forest. The village used to be the possession of the monastery in Koprzywnice (Lib. benef. III, 392).

 

3. G.; a town and the villages of Grodzisko Dolne and Grodzisko Górne in the neighborhood. The town is situated near the wide part of the Wisłok river where it flows into the San river; in the Łańcut district; on the western edge of Ruthenian settlement. There is a parish church loco, which is built of bricks. The erection of the church started in 1720 and it was finished in 1754. There is a post office and a three-grade school building. The number of residents: 5094, 364 Jews included. The inhabitants make their living from the soil and from the cloth manufacture. Cloth markets which are famous in the region are organised here. The town’s major estate has 332 morgs of farmland and 58 of meadows and gardens. The minor estate has 3200 morgs of farmland, 341 of meadows and gardens, 216 of pastureland and 428 of forest. The minor estate in both villages combined has 2629 morgs of farmland, 104 of meadows and gardens, 171 of pastureland and 244 of forest. Grodzisko Dolne has a gmina loan society with the capital of 300 Polish zloty.

 

4. G.; a village; the Dobromil district; on the Wyrwa river; near the Galicia-Hungary railway route; 6 km to the north-east of Dobromil; 2 km to the south-east of a post office; the Roman- and Greek-Catholic parishes in Nowe Miasto. The number of residents: 138. The major estate has 12 morgs of farmland, 13 of meadows and gardens, 1 of pastureland, 53 of forest. The minor estate has 134 morgs of farmland, 17 of meadows and gardens, 1 morg of pastureland and 1 of forest.

 

5. G.; the Kozłowa hamlet.

 

Grodzisko: Poznań

 

1. A village in the Pleszew district, on a stream which flows into the Prosna river; 2 km of the village of Prosna; 36 houses; 351 inhabitants; 13 Evangelical Protestants, 338 Roman Catholics, 117 illiterates. The parish church belongs to the Pleszew deanery. The parish has 588 morgs of the open area. The nearest post office is in Pleszew (Pleschen) and it is 9 km of the village; the railway station is located in Pleszew, 11 km of the village.

 

2. G.; a domain and the commune in the Pleszew district; 5209 morgs of the open area; two localities: 1). Grodzisko; 2). the grange of Wrotycz; 23 houses, 344 inhabitants, 7 Evangelical Protestants, 337 Roman Catholics, 138 illiterates. The grange is the possession of Antoni Taczanowski who is the lord of a manor in Taczanów. There is a mound called szaniec szwedzki (the earthwork of the Swedes) in the neighborhood. This mound was described by Schwartz, who was the head master of a high-school (gimnazjum) in Poznań. He wrote about the earthwork in an essay, which was destined for educational purposes, in 1880. The earthwork is surrounded by meadows, which used to be swampy and covered with alder forest in some parts. At present, the meadows became dry and they were brought under the plough. The change was caused by the process of the Prosna river-bed significant depression. The earthwork was covered with a grove until quite lately. The circumference of the entire earthwork is 700 steps; it consists of two separate parts; the entire earthwork is surrounded by a ditch. The earthwork is 7 to 800 steps of the Prosna river. The local residents say the earthwork was raised by Kazimierz Wielki, the king of Poland. When the king was threatened by Teutonic Knights in Pyzdre, he moved back in the direction of Lipa, the village which is situated on the border line in the present times. Then, he moved to the area of Grodzisko. He retrenched himself at the swamps. He left the swamps when his father, Władysław Łokietek appeared with the reinforcements.

 

3. G.; a village in the Krobski district; 6 houses; 42 residents, all Catholics, 8 illiterates. There is a post office in Gostyń, 7 km of the village. The nearest railway station is in Bojanowo, 11 km of the village. There is the earthwork of the Swedes in the village neighborhood.

 

4. G.; a domain in the Żytowiecka commune; in the Krobski district. 2654 morgs of the open area; 5 houses, 133 residents; refer to Żytowiecko entry. The possession of Count Leon Mielżyński.

 

5. G.; or Grodiszczko; the presbytery grange which belongs to Giecz, a stronghold in the Środa district; 3 houses; 28 residents, all Catholics, 12 illiterates. The parish church (the Catholic rite) is attached to the Kostrzyń deanery. The nearest post office is in Nekla, 6 km of the village; the nearest railway station is in Środa, 11 km of the village. This locality is surrounded by a trench; the bank is opened in the direction of Giecz and there is a swamp; there is an entry opposite. The trench and the ditch have a circumference of 675 steps. There is a church, a presbytery, farm buildings and a cemetery in the area of the embankment. While they were digging the place for a pond near the stronghold of Giecz, the workers came across oak piles which had traverses; the piles are said to be the remnants of a bridge which led to Giecz. Grodzisko is a nest of the Grodziski family who lived in the region of Wielkopolska. They used the Ogończyk coat of arms. Grodzisko was the possession of this family until the sixteenth century. It is possible that the church was founded by this family but it is commonly said that the church was founded in 1240 by Przemysław, a prince in Wielkopolska. Łukaszewicz opposes this idea. He argues that the situation in which a prince (the ruler at the same time) founds a church in the nobleman’s village instead of the state village is improbable.

 

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1881, vol. 2, p.843]

 

This translation, by Jaromir Iwanciow, is used by permission.

  
Copyright 2008-2017 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use