Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Slownik Geograficzny Translations

Ciotusza Stara (Old Ciotusza)

Village in Susiec county. In the past sometimes spelled as Citusza. Village was established in 1591 nearby the Sopot creek by Olesnicki family from Olesnik. In that same year Marcin Olesnicki was accused by Jan Zamoyski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Zamoyski) that he broke into his private lands where they bordered with the lands belonging to the Lipski family, cleared a substantial amount of the forest and established the Ciotusza village.

Along with several other vilalges belonging to the Olesnicki family Ciotusza was heavily indebted (16500 Polish Zloty). Hetman Stanislaw Zolkiewski transferred his claim to that sum to Jan Zamoyski in 1603, and subsequently Zamoyski forced Olesnicki family out of Ciotusza and took control of their lands. It wasn't until 1627 that Olesnicki regained control of their property.

In the 19th century the village belonged to count Szeptycki family. It was surrounded by beech and fir forest (part of vast Zamoyski property) on all sides.

In 1863 an uprising detachment stationed in Ciotusza led by Karol Swidzinski was attacked and vanquished by the Russian army.

According to the 1827 census, Ciotusza Stara and Nowa (Old and New) together consisted of 71 houses and had 1402 inhabitants. According to 1921, Ciotusza Nowa (New Ciotusza) had 54 houses and 341 inhabitants, while Ciotusza Stara (Old Ciotusza) had 48 houses and 294 inhabitants, including 13 Jews and 14 Ukrainians. In that same year both villages belonged to Majdan Sopocki county, part of Bilgorajski province (starting 1932 Tomaszowski province).

In Septmber 1939 main forces of the Krakow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krak%C3%B3w_Army) and Lublin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lublin_Army) armies crossed those lands when headed for Tomaszow.

In February 1943 both villages were pacified and Polish inhabitants were forcibly moved and replaced with Ukrainians (vast majority of Poles were able to avoid leaving the land).

At the turn of the 19th and 20th centure there used to be a wooden Orthodox church in the village. In nearby Ciotusza Nowa (New Ciotusza) there is a wooden watermill from the 19th century.


Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1880, vol. 1, p.704]

This translation is courtesy of the "Polish Culture, Food and Traditions" Facebook page.
  
Copyright 2008-2016 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use