- in the County of Szybin
Gąsawa, city (in old documents Gonzawa) in Szybin County at the lake and river Gasawka. In 1871m there were 91 houses, 854 inhabitants, 102 Protestants, 620 Roman Catholics, 132 Jews and 310 illiterates. In 1875, there were only 827 inhabitants. The Catholic church and parish belonged to the Deanery of Żnin. The inhabitants were engaged in agriculture and animal husbandry. There was a third class telegraph and post office. Passengers and mail were carried from Gniezno through Gąsawa to Nakło. There was an elementary school with a few classrooms. The nearest railroad station was in Mogilno, 22Km away. This locality belonged to the Trzemeszno Abbey and was known as a village in the 12th century. In 1388, it was invested with city rights based on Magdeburg law. In 1237, Duke Świętopełk invaded Gąsawa when Leszek Biały called for a trial to condemn and punish him for insubordination, crimes, and troubles stirred in Greater Poland. He was particularly condemned for the invasion of Nakło. His servants had injured Henryk the Bearded while he was taking a bath and they killed the escaping Leszek Biały near the village of Marcinkowo Górne. The Poznan Scientific Society searched for the exact place of the assassination to put a memorial cross there, but they met with obstructions from the authorities.
Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1881, vol. 2, p. 508]
Submitted by Alice Nelsen. Used by permission.