Słownik R

Geography Maps Slownik Geograficzny Slownik R

Slownik Geograficzny Translations

Raba Nizna, Wyzna

1.) Lower (Nizna) Raba, a village in Limanowa district, Roman Catholic parish in Olszówka. Situated in Raba river valley, on the road from Mszana Dolna (7.5 kilometers) to Jordanów, and between  Mszana Dolna and Zaryte train stations. Located on narrow mountain valley (428 meters above the sea level), stretched from  the South-West to the North-East, with Wielki Luboń slope to the North (1023 meters), and many hills (526 to 529 meters) raising to the South, which separate Raba from Olszówka. Barren, clay soil covering steep mountain-sides (called divisions), allows to cultivate only low-grow oats. In the valley there is a better soil, alluvial and silt, which allows to grow rye, barley and potatoes, whenever the sharp mountain climate permits. The valley is rather stony, covered with a thin layer of ground. As a result, there is a big accumulation of stones on fields after ploughing every year. Spruce forests were largely cut down during building a railway, leaving bare mountain-sides. Lower Raba borders with Zaryte to the South-East, with Glizno to the North, with Podobin to the East and with Olszówka to the South. There is a stream running through Olszówka and falling into the right riverside of Raba river within the village territory. The greater estate counted 1658 mórgs included bigger part of the estate: 122 mórgs (82 farm land, 2 meadows, 8 pastures and 30 woods), and smaller estate counted 1536 mórgs (917 farm land, 61 meadows, 215 pastures and 343 woods). Out of 91 houses, 3 are located on the greater estate (K.M. Baranowski inheritance). Population included 641 people: 628 Roman Catholics and 13 Jews. Jews work mostly in pubs and mills; there are 4 water-mills in the village. The houses are wooden, spacious and clean; people belong to a mountain tribe Kliszczak. Before the railway was built, people worked as wood transporters to markets in Krakow, later they delivered it to nearby stations.

2.) Upper (Wyzna) Raba, a village in Myślenice district, located on the upper stream of Raba river, near Hungarian border, in the wide mountain valley full of many streams running into both sides of Raba river, with the biggest of them called “Zaklety potok”. The valley is raising around the church to 531 meters above the sea level and is surrounded to the West by wooded Beskid ridges, which make a border with Galicia reaching up to 826 meters; there are: Rabska góra mountain (783 meters) to the South and Piątkowa mountain (684 meters) to the East and smaller hills (535 meters) to the North, which all make a water division of Raba and Skawa rivers. The communal road connects Raba with road going from Skomielna Biała to Podwilk na Spiżu. The closest train station is Chabówka (5 kilometers). The greater estate (Stefan Wilkoszewski) counted 1141 mórgs (451 farm land, 6 meadows, 52 pastures and 632 woods); smaller estate counted 2401 mórgs (1814 farm land, 57 meadows, 267 pastures and 236 woods). The soil there is cold and loamy and there are spruce forests. There are 4 water-mills in the village, one belonging to the estate. In 1880 there were 189 houses and 1251 inhabitants (596 men, 655 women); 1240 Roman Catholics and 11 Jews; the greater estate included 9 houses, 58 inhabitants (30 men, 28 women), of which 56 Roman Catholics and 2 Jews. There was no school there. Strug mountain contained 1-2 feet thick layers of mill-stone ashlars. This stone contains granite or quartz glued with blue loam-marl. [According to] Siarczyński (manuscript Biblioteki Ossolineum, nr 1826) there was a large demand for this local mill-stone in the beginning of XIX century; today they are made only for locals and for querns. It is known that the village was settled about year 1580, because name “novae radicis” appeared in recruitment registers from 1581 (Pawiński, Małop.,49). It belonged to cracovian castellan Spytek Jordan, and included 23 peasant corn-fields, 8 farms with farm land, 2 farms without any farm land, 2 farms with cattle, 1 farm without cattle and 3 handicrafts. There were also there: administrator’s corn-field, 2 hackers, and 1 fulling-mill. Later people were engaged in heavy linens weaving as a house industry, and selling them for local markets only. Village belonged to Rabka parish. Even though the parish was established at the same time as a village, it was equipped not before year 1668 by Kasper Sierakowski, there are registers saved from this time. According to an inspection documented in parish files (Łepkowski, Rocznik Towarzystwa Naukowego krakowskiego, 1861) in year 1595 there was a wooden church here. The bells are dated 1678 and 1732. At present time there is a brick church, without a vault, with four-sided tower, renovated in year 1840. The parish belongs to Cracow diocese, Maków deanery, including: Rokiciny, Sieniawa and Bielanka.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, pp. 340-341]

This translation, by Regina Frąckowiak, is used by permission.


folwark, Wloclawek powiat, Piaski gmina, Zglowiaczka parish, 28 wiorstas from Wloclawek, has 41 inhabitants.   Rabinowo folwark, separated from Zydowo estates, covers 292 mórgs: 232 mórgs of cultivated land and gardens, 23 of meadows, 2 of Pastureland, 18 unused; 4 mórgs built up; 9-field crop rotation; peat deposits.  8 mórgs belong to the peasants.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, pg. 343]

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Winter 1996-97 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".

Raczkiewieze [now in Minsk oblast Belarus]

1) Village in Slutsk county (uyezd), Czaplice [Chaplitsy] subcounty (volost), 1 verst (1.1km) from the railroad station at Sinica.

2) Estate of the landlord Zaleski, same volost.

3) village owned by the Radziwiłłs, in Slutsk powiat, 3 okrug from Kopyl, Cimkowicze gmina... A. Jel.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - [1888, vol. 9, p. 372]

This translation, by Donald Szumowski, is used by permission.


This entry refers to a town formerly in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, but now in Belarus (some very near the border with Lithuania). Poland proper has several Radun's, so it's important not to confuse them with this place.

Radun [now Radun', Hrodna oblast, in Belarus], a small government-owned town on the Radunka River, Lida powiat, in the 4th political district, center of a gmina and a rural district; it is an estate belonging to the treasury, 30 km. northwest of Lida, 37 km. from Wasiliszki, and 82 km. from Wilno, on a side road which in the 16th century was the shortest highway between Wilno and Kraków. In the year 1881 there were 1,526 inhabitants (757 male and 769 female); in the year 1866 there were 91 houses and 869 inhabitants (361 Catholics and 508 Jews); it has a wooden Catholic church and chapel, a synagogue, gmina administrative office, and a public school, which in the year 1885-6 was attended by 56 boys and 2 girls. It is the property of the treasury, which gave the lands back to the peasants for purchase. About 2 km. from the town, on a vast plain near the village of Horodyszcze, is a large trench, and even though the inhabitants call it the "Swedish" trench, its shape and the name of the adjoining the village shows that it was a fortified citadel of long ago. According to Balinski (Star. Polska, III:259), Radun was called Radomi by 16th century travelers and writers.

This small town was once a royal estate, from which the income went to pay for the king's court and table. According to a 1538 inspection, it had 7 streets there, in addition to the market square, and 210 houses of Christians - Jews were forbidden to settle there. It had 35 saloons for selling beer, 7 for mead and one only for liquor. Later Radun became the site of a starostwo not affiliated with a gród, and in 1770 that office included the town with appurtenances. In the year 1766 Józef Tyszkiewicz, the castellan of Mscislaw [now Mstsislav, ..., in Belarus] bought it, and on it he paid a kwarta of 2,616 z1oty's, 5 groszy, and a hyberna of 2,690 Polish z1oty's. At the Sejm of 1773-75 the Commonwealth government addressed recurring disputes over the borders of this starostwo by passing a separate law designating six officials as ad hoc commissioners to settle the matter once and for all.

In the Metryka Litewska the series of Radun starosta's begins toward the end of the 15th century with Janusz Kostewicz (1498-1527), followed by: Jan Hlebowicz (1527), Szymko Mackiewicz (1532-1541), Stanislaw Kiezgajlo (1546-1549), Augustyn Fursowicz (1551), Jurij Wolczkowicz (1556), Jan Hercyk (1569), and Mikolaj Talwosz (1581).

The Catholic parish church of Our Lady of the Rosary dates from 1838, transferred from the village of Kolesniki [now Kalesninkai, Lithuania], due to the closing of the Carmelite monastery there. Previously there had existed a church from the year 1752, which burned down; rebuilt in 1801, it suffered the same fate again. There is a small chapel in the cemetery. The Catholic parish, of the Radun deanery, has 7,522 souls. At one time there was a branch of the church in the village of Dubicze. The Radun deanery consists of 11 parishes: Radun, Ejszyszki [now Eisiskis, Lithuania], Wasiliszki [now Vasiliski, Belarus], Nacza [Nac], Bieniakonie [Benyakoni], Zablocie [Zabalac'], Wawiorka, Iszczolna, Woronów [Voranawa], Ossów and Soleczniki [now Salcinikai, Lithuania], for a total of 58,768 souls.

In this parish the terrain is level and treeless, overgrown in some places with bushes and covered with marshes. The soil is sandy, with a lot of gravel. It is watered by the following rivers: Dzitwa, Pielasa, Radunka, Naczka, Sopunka, Jodub. The rural district includes the town of Radun and the villages of Juciuny, Straczuny, Horodyszcze, Jatowty, Popiszki, Skladance, Wojkunce, and the nobles' farm settlement of Poradun, for a total as of the year 1864, according to the treasury rewizja of peasants, of 565 serfs, 3 men of jednodworzec status, and 32 free men. The gmina of Radun belongs to the 3rd district chamber of peasant affairs in the town of Ejszyszki as well as to the 3rd conscription center for the same place in Lida district, and consists of four rural districts: Radun, Mozejki, Kiwance, and Pielasa, including 67 villages with 536 houses, inhabited by 6,969 peasants. According to the 1864 census, there were in the gmina 1,740 serfs, according to the treasury rewizja of peasants 346 enfranchised farmers, 85 of jednodworzec status, 56 Jewish farmers, and 32 free men, for a total of 2,259 souls.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 450-451]

This translation, by Barbara Proko, first appeared in the Summer 1998 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".


Raduńka, a river in Lida powiat, a tributary on the right side of the Dzitwa, rising in marshes near the village of Lewkiszki and flowing in a southeastern direction by the villages of Lebiedniki, Nowosady, Maczunce, Kiwance, Polunce, the town of Radun, and the villages of Horodyszcze, Rachny, Mielewicze, and Kiemejsze.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 452]

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Summer 1998 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".


a village in the Srem district about 6 kilometers south west from the parish and post office in Bnin. The railroad station is in Gadki and in Moscina about 12 kilometers away. There are 64 houses, 462 people, 407 Catholics, 55 protestants. The greater part of the property of 103 acres belongs to Klement Zorawski. Between 1510 and 1696 there was a parish church named for the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Nicholas. The parish is in town and includes these other towns: Cmon, Konarski, Nieslabin, Orkowo and Radzewo. After some time the parish was transferred to Bnin. In place of the church in 1710 a wooden statue was erected. In 1578 the owners were Stanislaus Radzewski and Stanislaus Gorka from the province of Poznan.. In 1618 Zygmund Grudinski took over. In Radzewo there was a mill for grinding. About 1564 the town paid taxes to the diocese of Poznan; some time later it was included in the district of Kornik with the same land owners. In recent times several burial urns for ashes were plowed up in Radzewo. E. Cal.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 461]

This translation by Malgorzata Biela is used by permission.

Radziechów [now Radekhiv, Ukraine]

sometimes Raziechów, Ukrainian Radychiw [modern spelling Radekhiv], a small town in Kamionka powiat, has a powiat court, telegraph station and post office, 32 km. northeast of Kamionka Strumilowa, at latitude 50' 15' north, longitude 42' 16' east. To the northeast lie Tetewczyce, Peratyn and Antonówka, to the cast Niemilów, to the southeast Środopolce, to the south Krzywe, to the southwest Stanin, to the northwest Józefów.   R. lies on the line of the principal European watershed. The northwest part of the region belongs to the drainage-basin of the Wistula, by way of Białystok, by its tributary, the Bug; in the southeastern part flows the Radziechów or Ostrówki stream, a tributary of the Styr (the drainage-basin of the Dniepr). The Radziechów stream arises south of the town's buildings and flows to Środopolce. South of the rural buildings lie the manoral apiary and the Dąbrowa forest, to the north the "Kopań" grove (249 mt.), to the west the "Choroszczo" fields (253 mt.), to the north the "Perewotki" fields (268 mt.), to the east the "Zapust" forest, in which is the forester's lodge and hut called "Czutrowina," and to the southeast lies a group of homes called "Kąty" (Kuty), with two mills on the Radziechów stream, with a windmill, folwark, and distillery. The major estate (of Count Stanislaw Badeni) has 1,008 morgas of cultivated land, 57 of meadows and gardens, 266 of pastures, 992 of woods; the minor estate has 2,952 morgas of cultivated land, 118 of meadows and gardens, and 316 of pastures.  In 1880 there were 480 houses and 3,555 inhabitants in the gmina, 18 houses and 129 inhabitants on the estate; 422 Roman Catholic, 2,392 Greek Catholic, 818 Jews, 52 of other faiths; 339 Poles, 3,238 Ukrainians, 64 Germans. There is a Roman Catholic parish on the site, in Busk deanery. The parish was founded by Józef Count Mier in 1775.  The brick church, consecrated in 1828, is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception.  Belonging to the parish: Dmytrów, Hanunin, Józefów, Krzywe, Mierów, Pawłów, Peratyn, Plowe, Sieńków, Środopolce, Stanin, Surzno with Tobołowe, Wolica Baryłowa, Wólka with Szczyglówka, and Zabawa.  There is a Greek Catholic parish on the site, in Cholojów deanery; Józefów belongs to the parish. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas and has a 4-grade budgeted school. R. used to belong to the Łaszczes, then to the Miers, who erected a spacious palace there.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 462]

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Winter 1995-96 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".

Raj [now in Ukraine]

Raj, a village in Brzezany county, 3.75 km. southwest of Brzezany. It is bordered on the east by Brzezany; on the south by Olchowiec and Nadorozniow, on the west by forests belonging to the estates of Brzezany and Kurzany; and on the north by Lesniki and Brzezany. The manorial and peasant lands belong to the gmina [district] of Nadorozniów. In 1880 there were 461 inhabitants in the district, 131 on the manor grounds. It is served by a Roman Catholic parish with 165 parishioners and a Greek Orthodox parish with 392 parishioners, both in Brzezany. The major estate belongs to the Brzezany estate and is the property of Count Stanislaw Potocki. The administrative office of that extensive estate, covering 23 manorial farmsteads and 32,000 mórgs of land, is located here.

There is also a palace, the owner’s residence. During the times of the Sieniawskis and Czartoryskis, it was a small palace for hunting, square in shape with four towers on the corners. Later the inside was built up even with towers. Princess Elzbieta Lubomirska, of the Czartoryski princely family, the widow of Marshal Stanislaw Lubomirski, moved there from Brzezany. The palace stands in the middle of a splendid park through the center of which a stream flows, creating artificial ponds. Little bridges over these ponds connect the palace garden with the natural park. From the palace windows there is an enchanting view of the park’s ravines and ponds and, farther off, the hilly surroundings, as well as of distant Brzezany and the Bernardine monastery on a high and steep mountain, where it was built by Mikolaj Hieronim Sieniawski, the voivode of Ruthenia, in 1673. The park, which covers an area of 30 mórgs, is planted with fir trees, chestnuts, plane-trees, and spreading ash trees, and consists of two uneven parts. In the southern part, which slopes upward toward the south, the rotten and wasted trees were felled in 1879 and an orchard of fruit trees was created. The ponds are fed by the source of the Rajowka, which springs forth in the park and flows into the Lipa near Brzezany. Formerly there were dikes, but today only boulders remain. The park is somewhat neglected; in the greenhouses are very old orange trees, lemon trees and camellia, which were imported by Count Aleksander Potocki.

On two sides the park borders on the village, whose inhabitants, at one time obligated to do compulsory labor in the gardens (there was no manorial farmstead), are mostly gardeners. On the third side it borders on farm buildings and a cropped French garden, today utterly neglected. Beyond it stretches a vegetable garden covering several mórgs. On the fourth side (the south) is a sizable forest of beeches. Near the park stands a small [Orthodox or Greek Catholic] church of stone, remodeled in 1878 from a forge.

The palace is a tall, square two-story building crowned with a circular gloriette. Count Aleksander Potocki built it before 1830. On the ground floor from a beautiful vestibule there are stairs leading to the second floor, as well as the doors to the chapel and the billiards hall; a number of old portraits hang there. The chapel has beautiful Renaissance-style alabaster door-frames, and in the vaulting there is a similar alabaster altar chiselled by Leonard Marconi (circa 1879). In the billiards hall, which also serves as a dining room, hang four paintings depicting Jerzy Ossolinski’s entrance into Rome. There are also interesting Venetian glass articles (drinking glasses) with the Sieniawskis’ coat of arms (Leliwa). Farther on the library hall contains 3,030 works in 4,032 volumes and 544 brochures, among them many rare 18th-century lampoons and political writings, as well as 47 manuscripts, the oldest of which dates back to the 13th century. There are printed works of Haller and Rakowski, the Ostroga Bible, Victoria Deorum (see Maciszewski, “Information on Count S. Potocki’s Library in Raj,” Przeglad bibliograficzny, Warsaw 1882, pages 299-312). The upstairs is arranged differently. Most important is the large drawing-room over the library, with a ceiling painted by Enrico Conti of Florence in 1871 (he also painted the castle chapel) and a fireplace (L. Marconi). There are also many beautiful paintings and a magnificent antique tapestry depicting an Oriental scene. Zacharjewicz built the guest palace around 1882.

In the book La Pologne, published by Chodzko in Paris, it says that Raj was founded by Adam Sieniawski, whose wife was named Ewa. However, there was no Ewa Sieniawska. Records from 1668 list 12 farmers in Raj, and the hunting palace, which had been destroyed during the war with Sweden. It was later torn down by Adam Smigielski. In 1818, when Princess Lubomirska’s estate was being divided, the palace was so run down that the family went to Brzezany to dine. The Czartoryskis inherited the estate from the Sieniawskis, followed by the Denhoffs, Lubomirskis, and finally Aleksander Potocki (son of Stanislaw, the Minister of Education) followed by Stanislaw (who died 12 December 1887). [B. R. {Boleslaw Rozwadowski} - Mac. {Dr. Maurycy Maciszewski}]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, pp.492-493]

This translation, by Jolanta Jurasinska, edited by William F. Hoffman, is used by permission.


Rajgród, an urban settlement on Lake Rajgrodzkie, before 1867 it had miasteczko ["small town"] status; it is in Szczuczyn powiat, Przestrzele gmina, Rajgród parish. It lies along the highway from Warsaw to Kowno [now Kaunas, Lithuania], between Grajewo and Augustów, 239 km. from Warsaw, 33 km. from Szczuczyn, 18.7 km. from Grajewo, 3.2 km. from the Prussian border. The settlement occupies a peninsula jutting into the lake, and on the edge of the peninsula an embankment rises (an ancient citadel ruin), called Góra zamkowa [Castle Hill], quadrangular at the top, measuring 390 paces in circumference. Rajgród has a wooden parish church, a Reformed Protestant church, a synagogue, an elementary school, gmina office, post office, and drugstore; it has 217 houses, 3,916 inhabitants (1,932 men, 1,984 women). The settlement has 2,696 mórgs of land. There are six fairs held here yearly. The populace, mainly Jewish, supports itself with retail trade, of which the main article is smoked fish (whitefish and eels).

Around 1280 Prince Narymunt of Lithuania invaded Podlasie and, having seized the entire region, gave it to his brother Trojden for his participation. He, in order to secure the borders from the Prussians and Mazurians, erected a fortified citadel on the lake. In a document dividing Podlasie (Wizna district and Goniadz district) with Lithuania in 1358 (Kodeks Maz., p. 73), it is mentioned as a border point, along with the river Netta. Whether castle Rongart, erected according to Wigand in 1360 by Kazimierz the Great and destroyed soon after by the Teutonic Knights, can be identified with Rajgród is doubtful. It seems that Rajgród belonged to Lithuania and was a property of the Duchy, later given to the princes Glinski. When prince Michal, renowned in history, was punished for treason by confiscation of his property, the Rajgród estates were given by Zygmunt I, in 1509, to Mikolaj Radziwill, Wilno palatine. During the 16th century the Rajgród starostostwo appears in the tax rolls, sometimes separately, sometimes as a tenuta ["tenure"] connected with the Augustów starostwo. In 1580 income from both was evaluated at 2,967 zlotys, 25 groszy, and the kwarta was designated as 593 florins, 17 gr. In 1593 the Rajgród starostwo was designated as security for the oprawa of Anna, wife of Zygmunt III (see Podlasie, vol. VIII, p. 417). In 1616 the starostwo was held by Piotr Dulski, and in 1632 Krzysztof Dulski, starosta of Rajgród and Augustów, voted in the election of King Wladyslaw IV (Volumina legum, III, pp. 145 and 365). The 1664 inspection tour of the estate mentions that the dowry of Queen Maria Ludwika [aka Ludwika Maria] was secured on the Rajgród starostwo, which at that time included the town of Rajgród, its manorial farmstead, and the villages of Drestwo, Krocówka, Indziki, Czarnylas, Kosówka, Miecze, Kosily, Cmiele, Barszcze, and two forests, called Rybczyna and Belz. In 1674 the Rajgród starosta was Jan Kazimierz Tedwin, chamberlain of Dorpat in Livonia [now Tartu, Estonia] (Volumina legum, V, p. 131). In a charter dated 1679 King Jan III confirmed the granting of Magdeburg law granted by Anna née Radziwill Kizczyna and various other freedoms granted that town. In 1771 Dominik Medeksza, Kowno chamberlain, owned it along with his wife, Anna née Wilczewska, and on it they paid a kwarta of 1,298 z1p, 18 gr., and a hyberny [tax for the winter upkeep of the army] of 1,096 zlp., 29 gr. But by the Warsaw Sejm of 1775 the States of the Commonwealth bestowed this estate in emphyteutic ownership to Rydzewski, the Wizna Lord High Steward, along with the wójt's office (Volumina legum, VIII, p. 141).

On 22 May 1831 the Russian general Sacken, who regarded Rajgród's position as the key to Augustów province and Lithuania, occupied the city with a corps of 7,000 soldiers, and fortified the castle heights' battery with 14 guns and a stockade. On the 18th Dembinski drew near in the vanguard of Gielgud's corps, and took the position after an intense struggle. Sacken retreated to Augustów (Puzyrewski, Wojna 1831 r., p. 264; Dembinski's Pam. [Memoirs], I, p. 270). As a border point Rajgród was a trade market for Lithuania products, mainly furs, which were conveyed to Rajgród and from there transported all over Mazovia.

The wooden Catholic church, under the patronage of the Birth of Our Lady, was supposedly established along with the parish in 1519 by Mikolaj Radziwill. The current church was built in 1764 by pastor Jan Olszewski, but was not consecrated until 1820 by August Marciejewski, the Augustów suffragan bishop. Rajgród parish, of Szczuczyn (formerly Wasosz) deanery, has 6,073 souls (as of 1885).

A description and drawing of the Rajgród citadel ruins was given by M. Osipowicz in Tygodnik Ilustrowany [The Illustrated Weekly] in 1867 (issue 384). As of 1859 the government-owned estates of Rajgród covered a total area of 20,330 mórgs. Of these in 1841 privy councilor Czetyrkin had been given in entail the estate of Netta, consisting of the manorial farmstead of Netta (1,083 mórgs), Borsuki (223), Barglówka (830), and 1,426 mórgs of forest; the pastorate of Netta (177 mórgs); the settlements of Choszczowskie (39), Choszczowo trzciane (58), Stare Nowiny (35); and the villages of Netta (2,593), Borsuki (351), Czarnybród (55), Naddawki (45), Borki (54), Sosnowo (42), Karpa (102), Lipowo (158), Pienki (124), Piekutowo (292), Stare Nowiny (150), Pruchnowo (117), Barglówka (648). In all 8,621 mórgs were set apart as the entailed estate of Netta. In 1844 the entailed estates of Pruska and Tajno of Major General Zabolocki were supplemented with two lakes, Tajno (306 mórgs), Drectwo [sic] (424), for a total of 730.

The rest of the estates covered 10,797 mórgs. It consisted of. the town of Augustów; the manorial farmsteads of Barglów (239 mórgs) and Augustów (279); the settlements of Barglów Koscielny (275), Zalaskowy Kat (71), Kanala Sosnowo (8), the pastorate (105), and the leftover Karpa (741). The highway, river, and canal were 62 mórgs. The villages were: Barglow Koscielny (1,179 mórgs), Barglów Dworny (1,626), Brzozówka (1,421), Rudka Nowa (1,495), Rudka Stara (1,114), Jeziorki (1,652), Uscianki (461), Cerkasowizny (142), Chojnów (area not listed), and the area set aside for recruits, Rudka (108). The government-owned forest region of Rajgród currently covers 27,214 mórgs. M. R. Wit. [Michal Witanowski] 

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 495-496]

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Winter 1998 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".

Rajgrodzkie, Lake

Rajgrodzkie, Lake, one of the largest in the Baltic Lake District, extends with four arms in the basin of the Lyk (a tributary of the Biebrza) which fan out from a point east of the town of Elk. These arms head north, northeast, and southeast. Each of them is 4 to 5 km. long and on average .5 to 1 km. wide. The northern and northeastern parts lie within the county of Lötzen, Prussia [now Gizycko in Suwałki province], the other is in Szczuczyn powiat. It is one link in a chain of lakes stretching southeast from Wegobork. The lands covered by the arms of this fan-shape are partly hilly and partly wooded and boggy. On a promontory that goes into the lake at the end of the eastern arm lies the settlement of Rajgród, by which the river Jegrznia issues from the lake, connecting it with the adjacent lake Drectwo [sic; this is probably an alternate spelling of Drestwo] and carrying the waters of both lakes to the Lyk river, south of Ciszewo. This river is actually a continuation of the river Leg, which connects lakes Stackie and Skaweckie with Lake Rajgródzkie. The lake's area supposedly covers more up to 3,000 mórgs of land within the Kingdom, and much less in Prussia. East and south stretch the vast and mostly wet woods of the Rajgród forest district, through which runs the highway leading from Łomża to Rajgród to Suwałki. - Br. Ch. [Bronislaw Chleboski]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 496-497]

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Winter 1998 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".


1. a settlement in the district of Złoto, a post office and Catholic Church are in Więcbork, 1.25 kilometers away, a chapel in Wielowicz; 402 hares (25 meadows and 351 fields). Into the composition of the neighborhood enter: Rogalin (in 1885 there were 14 houses, 79 residents) and Rogalinerbusch (8 houses, 46 residents); the settlement itself in in 1868 had 46 buildings, 15 houses, 233 residents of which there were 89 Catholics and 144 non-Catholics; whereas in 1885 there were 20 houses and 125 residents, the whole neighborhood had 83 Catholics, 167 non-Catholics, and 6 Jews. Long ago there was a manor farm here; at present it has been sold. The landless cottage occupants were left in part blessed with the soil, in part oppressed by it. One portion of the area was incorporated into today's manor farm of Rogalin, another was divided in 1826 into parcels, out of which came the colony of Rogalin (ob. Gesch. d. Kr. Flatow v. Schmitt, page 268). Rogalin lies to the west of Więcbork, close to the border of Poznan county and has a non-catholic school (1 teacher, 69 students).

2. A private estate, in the same place, a post office in Wielowicz, 3 kilometers distance, 249 hares (33 meadows and 196 fields); a local brickyard burns drainage; a Dutch cattle farm, for the sale of milk and wool. In 1885 there were 7 houses, 14 dym., 98 residents, 22 catholic and 76 non-catholic.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 660]

This translation by Benigne Dohms is used by permission.


1. a church village, in the Śrem district, in the Środa deanery, about 13 kilometers west of Kornik and Bnin, on the right edge of the Warta River, across from Sowińca and Mosina, borders with Rogalin. There are 72 houses, 468 residents (423 catholic, 45 protestant) and 507 hares (306 fields, 60 meadows, 66 forests); income from the hares is 7.20 marks, from the meadows 11.04 marks, from the woods 2.21 marks. The parish is here, the post office in Radzewo Colony (Hohensee) and the train station is in Mosina about 4 kilometers away. Rogalinek is the property of the Poznan jurisdiction taken by the Prussian government. Within the territory arose the village of Saskie Pole (Sachsenfelde) and the forest district of Waldecke. In 1850 in Rogalinek there were 4 half-farms and 2 cottagers. The parish, listed incorrectly in the tax collector's registry as "Rogozieniec" was composed of Rogalinek, Rogalin and Swiatniki; later Polesie and Saskie Pole were added. The church of St. Michael already existed before 1510; the suffragan bishop of Poznan, Hieronim Wierzbowski, had a new church built in place of the old one in 1712. There are 1,283 parishioners.

2. Rogalinek: folwark for Jankowic in the parish of Ceradz Church on the border of the Bukowski district and Szamotulski, the property of Rozalia Chłapowska, Count Engestromów (around 1793); does not exist today. 3. Rogalinek: Gniezno district, obsolete Rogalin in the Kłecko neighborhood.

(Ed. Today Sachsenfelde is called Sasinowo.)

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 660]

This translation by Benigne Dohms is used by permission.


1.) (Rusyn: Roliw) A village, Drohobycz District, 15 kilometers northeast from Drochobycz, 10 kilometers from Medenice, 6 kilometers from a train station and a post-telegraph office in Dobrowlany. Situated between Hruszów, Tynów and Litynia to the North, Wróblowice and Lipowice to the South-East , Rychcice to the South-West, Dobrowlany to the West. The Trudnica River, a tributary to the Tyśmienica runs through the North part of the village. The river starts in the West in Dobrowlany and runs northeast to Litynia. The valley of Trudnica is swampy. A canal running along the North border is designed to drain the area. There are farm buildings on the right shore of the Trudnica. The eastern part of the village is called “Bojary”, while the western “Zagacie”. The estate area includes Brysnik, Łastowiec and Wyhadówka Manors, Tuzy pub, and Nanowszczyzna and Zofiówka estates. The Greater Estate (Feliks Firley and Company’s ) includes 420 morgs of farm land, 231 morgs of meadows and gardens, 17 morgs of pastures, and 271 morgs of forest; the smaller estate includes 776 morgs of farm land, 361 morgs of meadows and gardens, 496 morgs of pastures, and 113 morgs of forest. In 1880, there were 224 houses and 1124 inhabitants in the township, including 23 houses and 158 inhabitants in the estate area. The inhabitants include 56 Roman-Catholics, 1128 Greek-Catholics, 59 Israelites; 123 Poles, 1099 Rusyns, 60 Germans. The Roman-catholic parish is in Medenice, the Greek-catholic parish is in the Drohobycz Deanery of the Przemyśl Diocese. There is a wooden Orthodox church, a single-class school and a trust-union with the capital of 3045 Polish złoty.

2.), see: Rulów Lu. Dz.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 717-718]

This translation, by Regina Frąckowiak, is used by permission. All other rights reserved.


6) village and estate in Białystok powiat, in the 2nd Police district, Juchnowiec gmina, which lies approximately 11 kilometers (7 mi) from Białystok; was included in the Knyszyn starostwa (district).

7) Romejki, village, ibid., in the 3rd Police district, Jaświły gmina, which lies 43 versts from Białystok.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 735]

This translation, by Donald Szumowski, is used by permission. All other rights reserved.


also Rospętek, German Rospentek, an estate in Szubin county, 71/2 km. west of Kcynia (which is where the post office and railway station are located), on the road to Margonin and Gołańcz; Panigródz parish, 10 houses, 146 residents (131 Catholic, 15 Protestant), covering 420 hectares (348 of fields and 18 of meadows). Around 1523 a bushel each of rye and oat was given as a Mass tithe to the priest in Panigródz from the peasants' land in Rozpętek, while a "sheaf" tithe was given the priest in Kcynia [Ed. Note-apparently a Mass tithe, meszne, was of money or grain, whereas a "sheafed tithe," a snopowa dziesięcina, consisted of sheafed bundles of grain]. In 1577 there were 17 owned and cultivated fields and 5 crofts; in 1579 there were 20 fields owned and cultivated, 1 empty, 7 crofts, 2 of craftsman. The tax register for 1618 shows only 3 fields. In 1793 Rozpętek belonged to Jan Kalkstein, circa 1843 to Teodor Dembiński.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 842]

This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Summer 1996 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America".


15) R., a village on the Wieprz River, in the Powait of Zamość, Gmina of Zwierzyniec, Parish of Szczebrzeszyn, lying Southwest of Zamosc 32 ½ kilometers and from Zwierzyniec 1 kilometer. It presently has a school, 63 settlements, land owners owning 312 morgs of land, and manors on 8 morgs. It has 258 Catholic, 95 Orthodox and 78 Jewish inhabitants. In 1827 it had 31 dwellings and 231 inhabitants.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1888, vol. 9, p. 911]

Researchers of town: Paul Valasek

This translation, by Jerry S. Kucharski, FIC, FICF, appears by permission. All rights reserved.

Rzędzińska Wola

A village in the county of Tarnow, on the east of Rzedzina.  In the area of the village lies the highest point of the rail line, Karol Ludwik (Charles Ludwig), between the Dunajec and the Wisloka Rivers, at a height of 224 meters above sea level.  The Roman Catholic parish is in Tarnow. It has a public school, 393 dwellings and 2052 inhabitants, of which 2031 are Roman Catholic and 21 are Jewish.  At is greatest extent (under Prince Sangusz) it had 33 morgs of fields, 8 morgs of meadow, 4 morgs of pasture and 2 morgs of forest.  This was less than the current 2617 morgs of fields, 640 morgs of meadow, 461 morgs of pasture, and 183 morgs of forest. It is bordered on the north by Czekaj and Jodlowka, and on the east by the forests of Wyrebiska and parts of the village of Pogorska Wola. It is to the north of Ladna.  Along with Skorzyszow it has the largest tannery in the Province of Galicia.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1889, vol. 10, p.165]

This translation, by Jerry S. Kucharski, FIC, FICF, is used by permission.