Research Parish Index Kolo
Holy Cross Parish Parish
The parish, located near Konin, was already established in the XIII century. The oldest part of the church is the presbiterium. In the middle of the XIV/XV century a nave was added. In the beginning of the XVI century a chapel of Our Lady of Good Counsel was constructed. In the XIX century a chapel under the name Our Lady of Czestohowa and a porch were added along with a recreated wooden ceiling in the nave in the shape of cross. The Gothic church was build with rough stone and was not plastered. The cathedal apex is decorated with a pinnacle. It has no tower. Inside of the church there are 5 altars, 2 paintings: "Decending from the CrossÒ and "Stygmatism of St. Francis". There is a coffin plate of John from Grabow who was the son of Zawisza Czarny (the famous Polish Knight). The latest church was consecrated in 1895. In 1967-8, the outside of the church was repaired. A metal bell-tower with 3 bells and an electric heating system was added. The archives contain parish registers from 1871-1889, complete from 1946, appointment books from the years 1731-1938, and a cronical from 1952.
Parish village communities: Dzierawy, Kolonia Powiercie, Ochle.
The cemetery has an area of 3.5 hectors and is located 1.5 kilometers from the church.
Neighboring parishes: Bialkow, Gregorzew, Osiek Wielki, Koscielec, Dobrow, Wrzaca Wielka.
Nearby there is a church and cloister of the Fathers of Bernard, under the name of the Visitation of Blessed Virgin Mary. It was build in 1456. It stands 100 meters from the Kolo church. The Upper Polish Diet had once gathered there. The original church was demolished by floods from the river Warta and was rebuilt in 1751. This church is of concrete (not plastered) with 2 towers that have metal caps. In the middle of the church, the ceiling is in the shape of a dome and on top of that is another dome. From the middle of XVIII century the inside is in Rococo style. In 1960 new paintings by B. Mikolajczak were added.
Source: Lublin Archdiocese Directory (1960?)
Submitted/Translated by: Rose Szczech (May 1997);