Research Parish Index Kostrzyn


Kostrzyn (Poznan)

St. Peter & Paul the Apostles Parish

The parish was established from the king’s funds in XI-XXII century. The gift belonged to abbess Klarysek (order of St. Clare) of Gniezno. Klaryski later built a three aisled brick church in XVI under the name St. Peter & Paul the Apostles. The church was ravaged by Swedes in 1712. From her own funds the abbess Zofia Kraszkowska renovated the church. In 1839 the deteriorating tower had to be torn down. The church has seven altars, with paintings from the XVII and XVIII century. The oldest (baptismal) font is from XVI and has 8 sides in the style of a Chalice. The church has a tabernacle (Reservaculum) in form of a drawer on side of the wall near the main altar. On the opposite side is a beautiful late Gothic Madonna. The chancel has beautiful old paintings more than 300 years old that were uncovered between 1965-1966. The church has electrical heating. On the cemetery there is a Chapel - Mortuary constructed in 1932.One of the vicars was Father Samuel Maciejowski, later bishop of Krakow.

Parish village communities: Andrzejewo, Antoniewo, Gwiazdowo, Izdebno, Jagodno, Janopol, Kostrzyn, Libartowo, Puszczykowo, Skalowo, Sokolniki Gwiazdowskie, Sokoluiki Klonowskie, Tarnowo, Wroblewo.

Source: Poznan Archdiocese Directory (1960?)

Submitted/Translated by: Rose Szczech (May 1997)